Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Traditional methods of publishing remain important

A contact of mine at the Oxford University Press has suggested I send some chapters of my manuscript to them for consideration. The OUP aims to give a two-month decision which is quicker than quite a few people.

Certainly my decision to self publish through Amazon's Kindle shouldn't persuade me to close my mind to traditional publishing methods which is likely to remain important well into the electronic age. In fact, I can't envisage a time when reading a book on paper and ink will ever be replaced by the e-book era. The popularity of e-books simply gives all authors, particularly indie authors, more options than before.

I am pleased to see I am gaining more presence on Google, both my name George Chedzoy and the name of my book, Smugglers At Whistling Sands, are easily searchable. The not so good news is that this blog has not achieved many hits and I have no reason to think anyone has actually yet found my book listing on Amazon, let alone actually taken the leap and paid 86p for it (USD $1.41).

But these are early days, anyone who knows the story of John Locke and Amanda Hocking, will realise that their starts were extremely slow and faltering. For those who don't know, both have gone on to sell more than one million e-books. Indeed, it was the e-book market which saved Amanda Hocking's dream of becoming a novelist - after having suffered countless rejections from traditional publishers.

The worst crime a rookie author can commit is to give up - the journey to making it as an author is a long and rocky one, but I am determined to forge ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment