Thursday, May 03, 2012

Another frustrating glitch with Amazon's KDP publishing platform

For the best part of a week now, I have been unable to make changes to my ebook published via Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing because of a maddening technical error.
Last weekend, I made a couple of minor amendments to my listing and to the categories my children's novel was published in. This causes the book to go from "Live" to status "Publishing" in the author's account and until the status changes to "Live" you can't make any further alterations. Usually it takes 12 hours or less but for more than four days my book has been permanently stuck in "Publishing".
Fortunately, it is still available for sale but as a result of this error I cannot alter the price, the listing, the categories, or the book itself.
And worryingly, I cannot withdraw my own book from sale should I wish to - and there might always be reasons why one might need to do that.
I have contacted KDP customer support about it but so far just received the one reply saying that they are aware of the problem and are trying to sort it. But I have no idea when that will be.
To make things worse, I have got my book marooned in the wrong category - Adults Action & Adventure when it should be Children's Action & Adventure. Until my book's status goes Live I am powerless to correct this.
Has it affected sales? You bet - only one this week, when I would normally have expected three or four by now.
I have pointed out to Amazon that bearing in mind people like me are contractually bound not to sell our book anywhere else (a condition of membership of KDP Select) to be left stranded like this for days on end unable to make any changes we deem necessary is just not acceptable.

Update May 4, 2315: Book finally went Live in my account around 11am today after having been frozen in status "Publishing" for around five days. Pleased to say that I made the amendments I wanted to and after going back into greyed-out status of Review then Publishing, it is now Live again, just a few hours later. So well done Amazon for (finally) sorting this problem out!

1 comment:

  1. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well..
    Amazon

    ReplyDelete