Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fantastic new review for Smugglers!

Incredibly chuffed today to receive another five-star review from Nigel Rowe, a leading figure in the Enid Blyton Society which unites fans of Enid from all over the world.

I enclose a copy of his review below:

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Adventure!, 22 Mar 2012
By Nigel Rowe - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Smugglers at Whistling Sands (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic story! As said before, shades of the great Enid Blyton here - like Enid? You'll love this book! It also cleverly shows how mobile phones and the internet don't alter the danger much - clever ways round always being able to phone the police! I loved the character development, and after a few pages I became attached to them. Really good, and I also hope for several sequels! Mind you, you've a long way to go to catch up with Enid Blyton! A great story in its own right and suitable for all ages.


Nigel has also plugged it on the Enid Blyton forums. I cannot thank him enough for his kindness in taking an interest in the book and - without any pressure from me - to have both read it and, having liked it, backed it to the extent that he has.

Once again, I am left feeling that there are a lot of good people in the world of books, and perhaps you'd expect some good eggs in the Enid Blyton Society. Nigel is definitely one and I hope to meet him and some of the others in the Society one day, which I intend to join very soon, if they'll have me.

I am aware that with Smugglers at Whistling Sands I could be accused of seeking to slightly ride on the back of Enid Blyton, although no-one has actually accused me of that. But if they did I would say this: my book is not intended as a copy but as an original work which was to some extent inspired by Enid Blyton. I think so long as one acknowledges one's debt it is ok. Enid is often derided and certainly she is not beyond criticism but the quality she managed to achieve over 600+ novels is truly the work of a genius.

When you look at her books carefully, particularly the likes of the Famous Fives and her Adventure series, you realise that for all their apparent simplicity and ease, they are the product of a very great talent. If I could be considered half as good as her, I would be happy. As for matching her output, as Nigel put in his review, I have a very long way to go to catch her up. I think that might be what you'd call an unattainable goal - even without the day job!

And I've just remembered something, here's me crowing about another good book review, I myself have a couple of reviews I need to write for books I've bought on Amazon. I must get on with it - if people are willing to take the time to review mine, I ought to review theirs - it's only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment