Sunday, October 09, 2011

New book cover for Smugglers has just gone live on my Amazon listing

If you look towards the top of your screen, you will see a tab for a new page on which I have posted all three of my covers so far, including my new one, on a blue background.

I feel my original cover was simply too simple - and was potentially hampering sales. It simply wasn't striking enough and I hope that this one will be more inviting. I had been meaning to replace the other one for some time and am glad that I have now done so. As the saying goes, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but people do - and probably all the more so with an ebook which you can't physically flick through.

I know myself that a cover can subtly affect my own decision to purchase a book and the experience of reading it. I suppose, when you think about a fine wine will taste better drunk from a cut-glass goblet than a paper cup - perhaps it shouldn't but it does. And bearing in mind how difficult it is for independent, self-published writers to get their work in front of readers, doing one's best to get a decent cover is an investment worth making.

SALES UPDATE (Monday, October 10th at 9am): A dry few days meant there was no chance of me reaching my target of 50 sales within my first 80 days of having published Abersoch-based Smugglers at Whistling Sands, ie. Sunday October 9th. By midnight I remained on 43 sales but overnight, I've had a 44th buyer - so maybe that's a good omen for my new cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment